Me and my girls

Me and my girls

Friday, November 5, 2010

I need a break!



The past few weeks in our household have been nuts. With my husband on a business trip one week, my trip to Blissdom Canada the following week plus various school meetings and networking meetings thrown into the mix, organizing our schedule was nuts! These obligations were in addition to our regularly scheduled routine and trying to juggle the logistics have been exhausting.

I need a break. I need one week in which all we have to worry about is our regularly scheduled routine. The beauty of routine is that it becomes second nature. You don’t have to think about it. You know where your kids are, you know who is picking them up and that is it. No coordinating caregivers, no piece meal solutions, no stress. It just runs as usual.

I had the tools and the ability to make it work and our household ran like a well-oiled machine despite the absence of one or both of us. I do not, however, have the stamina to keep this going. I have also noticed my children being affected by our absence. Very rarely do we have someone other than me or my husband put the kids to bed. In the past few weeks, bedtime routine has been done by my sister or mom at least twice a week. This has lead to a more difficult time saying goodbye at school and saying good night. When I start to see my usually happy children become more clingy and sad, I know it’s time to take a break.

I have had enough and will take a break from over scheduling myself. I missed my children when I was at Blissdom. I admit it. I missed snuggle time, their stories, their dancing. I love hanging with them and being there for them. Blissdom was definitely worth it but I am glad to be home and getting back into our regularly scheduled programming.

They say these days that kids are overscheduled but what about us parents? How can we keep the balance in our lives? I think the first step is recognizing the need to change. Now the challenge becomes learning to say No to some of the great opportunities that are presented to me. I must be strong, at least for a little while, and take a break. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Love your awareness around this issue. Most folks just keep going without asking the better questions like you.

    Each of us decides where that boundary if for our family. I was grateful for the times my husband (at the time) and I had to go to conferences-it created a strong bond between us away from our roles as parents.

    Again I was lucky in we ran our own business almost the entire time my son was being raised. The only time we notice him getting clingy was when we moved, thank heaven for enjoying taking him with me everywhere when he was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Michelle! I am also lucky to be working from home so I do spend most of my time with my girls. I would not have it any other way. I am very lucky to be able to spend this time with them. It goes by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete