Me and my girls

Me and my girls

Monday, November 21, 2011

My New Favourite Veggie Recipe

Mushrooms and Sweet Onions

I have been trying my best to eat healthier lately which means seriously increasing the amount of veggies I eat each day. At first this was fine, but to keep vegetables low cal and low fat really reduces the options when it comes to making them interesting. While, roasting carrots and parsnips is a super yummy option, it gets old.

I have been experimenting with different ways of cooking vegetables, and my current favourite recipe involves Mushrooms and sweet onions. Yum.

Here is the recipe. The quantities are not exact but really you just need to taste what you are making and adjust to your own taste buds.

1. Melt 2 tsps of butter in a large skillet (you don't need much butter and can even cut it down to 1 tsp)

2. Cut up 2 sweet onions (I wasn't kidding when I said I was upping the veggie content) and cook in melted butter for around 2-3 minutes. You want to slightly soften the onion but not too much as it will continue to cook when you add the mushrooms.

3. Cut up a bunch of mushrooms (I do around 4 cups) and these can be a mixture of white, portabello, cremini or any other type of mushroom that you want.

4. Put mushrooms in skillet and cook with onions. You want to cook the mushrooms until they have started to sweat. Add in 1 tsp of kosher salt. Continue cooking until the liquid is almost entirely evaporated. Depending on the type of mushrooms you use, this can take 5-10 minutes. The thicker the mushroom ie. portabello the longer it takes.

5. Just before all the liquid has evaporated, add in approximately 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar. You can add more or less depending on your preference. Continue cooking until all the liquid has evaporated.

And then voila! Yummy veggies.

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment